VICTIM | WITNESSES
We provide information, referrals and assistance to victims of crime and witnesses of crime in criminal proceedings with the goal of involving victims in the system. This includes victim support services such as orientation to the criminal justice system, assistance and moral support during court proceedings, providing transportation to court when necessary, encouraging employer and family support, and referral to intervention, criminal justice advocacy and public education. We promote confidence in the criminal justice system.
A crime victim has the following rights:
- To be treated with fairness and respect for the victim’s dignity and privacy.
- To be reasonably protected from the accused offender.
- To be notified of court proceedings.
- To be present at all public court proceedings related to the offense, unless victim’s testimony would be materially affected.
- To confer with an attorney for the Government in the case.
- To restitution.
- To information about the conviction, sentencing, imprisonment, and release of the offender.
The services of the Prosecutor’s Victim/Witness Program are free of charge. We know that the better informed you are about your case, the better able you are to cope with your difficult situation.